The scarecrow is a villain which appeared in the animated series of Martin Mystery, starring in the episode Night of the scarecrow.
In 18th century America, a family of colonists, the Fermiers, built their farm on a large portion of land. However, a while later, people came and expelled the Fermiers from the land which had become their home. Angry and wanting to punish them, the patriach of the Fermier family used an ancient magical talisman to cast a curse on the farmland so that if they could not have it, noone could ever. The curse animated the farm's scarecrow, which came to life and would cause the plantations to rot and terrify the owners to death. It continued to do this for centuries. Years later, Martin Mystery's Aunt Tamsin bought the farm, though she was surprised by the low price of the property. Shortly after she moved in, the scarecrow began terrorizing the farm animals. When Martin, Diana and Java arrived, the scarecrow caused all the crops in the field to rot the next day. The fields then got covered in a thick fog, and Tamsin got lost. THe scarecrow then ambushed her and scared the life out of her. Realizing the danger they were in, Martin quickly figured out what was happening and decided they had to destroy the talisman which was the source of the curse. They went to the barn to find it, but the scarecrow summoned of massive tornado that completely destroyed the barn. It then attacked Martin and his friends, demonstrating its impressive powers. They were able to fight off the tornados it summoned, but it caught Java and drained him of life. Even after Martin destroyed the talisman, the curse was still in effect. Diana proceded to stall the scarecrow to buy Martin time, but it eventually got her and drained her too. However, Martin emerged from the farmhouse with the deed which got the Fermier family evicted in the first place. Declaring he gave the land back to them and that the scarecrow was not needed anymore, he threw it into the tornado. Horrified as this meant it no longer had a purpose, the scarecrow was engulfed in its own tornado and torn to pieces. The people it had scared were restored to full health.
The scarecrow fiercely protected the farmland it belonged to and was hostile to anyone who walked on its soil. It seemed to enjoy scaring the life out of people, as it was often seen smiling when stalking and attacking its victims. It was also horrified when the deed was destroyed, effectively ending the scarecrow's purpose and existence. Other than that, it displayed little to no personality traits.
Powers and abilities
To aid in its purpose of protecting the farmland, the curse granted the scarecrow an extraordinary set of supernatural powers. During the episode it displayed the following abilities:
- immortality: while not technically alive, the scarecrow could not be harmed by typical means and was functionally immortal, its terror spanning centuries. As long as the curse which animated it was in effect, the scarecrow would live.
- life absorption: the scarecrow could drain a being of their health and vitality. It accomplished this by shining beam of green light into the eyes of its victim. They would become very weak, pale and bony. If the process was not reversed quickly, they would die within a matter of hours.
- levitation: it could freely levitate and fly with great speed and agility.
- rot inducement: in just one night, the scarecrow caused all the crops across the whole farm to dry and rot.
- fog creation: the scarecrow could cover an entire field in thick fog to freely stalk its victims.
- atmokinesis: its most remarquable ability. The scarecrow had the power to create massive devastating storms to cover the whole farmland.
- aerokinesis: perhaps an extension of its own atmokinetic powers. The scarecrow's main means of attacking was creating powerful tornados. These were strong enough to easily tear through an entire barnhouse. It could freely control their trajectory with gestures of its hands. They could be repelled with enough force or if two tornados collided with each other. If a person was caught in one of them, their life would be drained from them.